- Impressions of the Ridge. By N. Sivasothi, 20th September 2002.
- Heritage in our backyard - or how we started telling the stories of Kent Ridge," by N. Sivasothi for Teacher's Workshop, Public Education Branch, National Heritage Board, 18 Jan 2008 [pdf].
- "Kent Ridge or Pasir Panjang?" Otterman speaks, 05 Jul 2004.
and plant guide sheets, 2002. Prepared by Ng Soh Fang, Tai Jo
Fen, Kelvin Lim and N. Sivasothi. Plant reference specimens prepared
by Brandon Seah, Ng Soh Fang and Tai Jo Fen. *Added - 1945 topographical
map on display at Memories at Old Ford Factory.
Flora of the ridge
- Oi Yee on the Ridge. Nature guiding on Pasir Panjang Ridge has been conducted for decades! Crescent Girls leading Gan Eng Seng and Victoria school boys on a walk. Updated, 17 February 2004.
- A guide to the plants of Kent Ridge by Brandon Seah, Dec 2001. An online resource about the plants of the Ridge, with descriptions, ecology and references. Prepared during a student attachment with the Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research, NUS, Oct-Dec 2001. Revised, 5th September 2004 -pdf
- "Kent Ridge Plants and Animals" - a photo album on Flickr
- Wildlife Encounters on Kent Ridge, compiled by N. Sivasothi (from Habitatnews). Emails mostly by Sasi Nayar, about encounters with snakes on the Ridge, in the wee hours of the morning. Other accounts of birds such as hornbills. Feb - May 2002.
Battle of Pasir Panjang
- "Commemorating the Battle of Pasir Panjang," by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 16 Feb 2004.
- "Adnan lives on," by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 29 Feb 2004.
- The Malay Regiment - "Ta'at Dan Setia": 1933-1945. By Lim Kay Tong, 1999. Knowledgenet, The Singapore Social History Source. A condensed history of the regiment from its origin and ending with its postwar revival, based on Dol Ramli's account.
- Adnan Saidi: Infantry Officer, War Hero. By Liza Sahid. Knowledgenet, The Singapore Social History Source, 1999. An in-depth biography of Lt. Adnan Saidi
- "The fire and death on 'Opium Hill'," by Haji Mubin Sheppard. The Straits Times, Monday, 13 February 1967: p.6. Published on the occasion of the 25th annversary of the battle. Transcribed by Kenneth Pinto, 22 Mar 2008.
- "Penrod Dean, the True Survivor," by Kennth Pinto. Deadpoet's Cave, 05 Jul 2007.
- "Best read book this year - "Singapore Samurai,"" by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 01 Aug 2007
- "Penrod Vance Dean, R. I. P.," by N. Sivasothi. Otterman speaks, 06 Jun 2006.
- Ramli, D., 1965. History of the Malay Regiment, 1933–1942. J. M'sian. Br. Roy. Asia. Soc., 38(1): 199–243. link
- Video: Leftenan Adnan (2000) - youtube link to Part 1
News about Heritage walks
Month remembered, "Pasir
Panjang Heritage Trail - Special Edition!" By Quek Kiah
Shen, 24 Sep 2005.
and Nature to Combine at Pasir Panjang." Geraldine Donough-Tan, Singaporecanlah.com, Feb 2005.
- "Singapore Remembers the
End of WWII in the Asia Pacific." Singapore Tourism Board media
release, Singaporecanlah.com, 14 Feb 2005. See also the Visit
South Buona Vista Road, ca. 1925. From a postcard presented by Margie Hall.
The Kent Ridge/Pasir Panjang Heritage Trail
Raising awareness about the heritage at our doorstep
Walks along the ridge were initiated in 2002 to awaken in NUS staff and students as well as the public, an awareness of the geography, history and biology of the southern ridges, beginning with Kent Ridge and Pasir Panjang, and subsequently, the rest of the ridge line.
Since AY 2009/10, this was incorporated into the module LSM103 Biodiversity's Kent Ridge practical each semester (see Map). The cohort of about 300 per semester were previously confined to campus grounds but in this version, would walk to Bukit Chandu from where they would be bussed back to campus. The module was moved to LSM2252 in AY2017/18.
In 2016, a briskwalk series was started to encourage NUS staff to exercise. Held on a few Friday evenings in the first half of the year, it has been conducted in 2017 and 2018 too.
For notices of walks, 2008 - present time, see the NUS Toddycats blog.
Guiding Dates 2011 onwards
Sun 15 Feb 2015
Heritage trail walks with N. Sivasothi, Kok Oi Yee, Airani S, Kenneth Pinto, Alvin Wong, Quek Kiah Shen, Wendy Sim, Stella Wee, Anandbalan S & feat. Lai Chee Kien
February (battle annniversary), May (Intl. Mus Day) and July (Heritage Fest)
Sat 15 Feb 2014
Sat 10 Feb 2013
Sun 12 Feb 2012
Sun 13 Feb 2011
Guiding Dates 2010
Guiding Dates 2009
Guiding Dates 2008
- Photos by Kenneth Pinto [link]
Guiding Dates 2007
Guiding Dates 2006
- Battle of Pasir Panjang Commemorative Walk - Sun 10 Feb 2008
- International Museum Day - M.I.A. Tour, 31 May 2008 (two tours).
- Heritage Fest - ??Sat 19 Jul 2008
Guiding Dates 2005
- Battle of Pasir Panjang Commemorative Walk - Sun 12 Feb 2006
- International Museum Day - M.I.A. Tour, 26 May 2006
- Heritage Fest -
Sat 15 Jul, Sun 16 Jul, Sun 23 Jul 2006
Guiding Dates 2004
- 29 Jan 2005 - Faculty of Science Family Day
- 13 Feb 2005 - Battle of Pasir Panjang Anniversary Walk. Start Point: UCC (Clementi Road). Habitatnews - Raffles Museum news.
- Raffles Museum Toddycats! begin coordination - Project Managers: Wendy Sim and Quek Kiah Shen.
- 16, 17 & 24
Jul 2005 (Heritage Fest 2005)
- Sep 2005 - 60th
Anniversary of the end of WWII (Asia-Pacific)
Guiding Dates 2002-3
- 14 Feb 2004 & 28 Feb 2004 - Battle Anniversary Walk 2004 - the 28th was the first time we started at 2pm. Start point: Raffles Museum.
- 17, 18 & 25 July 2004 - Heritage Fest 2004 (public). Start point: Kent Ridge Park.
- Collaboration with Reflections at Bukit Chandu (National Archives of Singapore) & St. Andrew's Junior College (SAJC) Green Club begins.
- 05 & 06 Sep 2004 - Faculty of Science 75th Anniversary (NUS & alumni).
- 16 Aug 2002 - URA/Southern Hills visit: St Theresa's (Ng Soh Fang).
- 13, 20, 27 July 2002 - First Ridgewalk series; these began at 7am from Raffles Museum.
- NUS ACAM 2003
Training & Recces
Refresher Course 2006
Thu 19 Jan: 6pm - 7.30pm (ridge plants)
Thu 09 Feb: 7pm - 9.30pm (all esp. BPP)
Training Course 2006
Thu, 08 Jun: 7pm-9.30pm,
Thu, 15 Jun: 7pm-9.30pm,
Thu, 29 Jun: 7pm-9.30pm,
Sat 01 Jul: 2pm-6pm
Heritage Fest 2005
Training for Toddycats! - July 2005: 29th
June (classroom - Plants by Airani & Siva), 7th
July (classroom - History by Siva &
Oi Yee) & 10th July (site recce, guiding techniques
Workshop for Battle Anniversary Walk, 22
- Heritage Fest 2004 Training - June 2004
- Training for NUS ACAM walk - 27 Feb 2003
- Recce series I - 19 & 26 June 2002
- 16 Feb 2005 - "Nature
and Heritage in Singapore: The evolution of the Pasir Panjang Heritage Trail"
By N. Sivasothi. NTU Culture and Heritage Informatics class
at National Archives of Singapore.
Feb 2004 - Recce of 1936 outpost with Hugh Tan & Kok
Feb 2004 - "Heritage in our backyard - the stories
of Kent Ridge." By N. Sivasothi. Biodiversity & Ecology
Journal Club, Deparment of Biological Sciences, NUS.
Jan 2004: NUSSU student leader orientation see: "Kent
Ridge Heritage with NUSSU." Otterman speaks,
- 2005: Discussions and recces and editing proposal with
NUS Kent Ridge & Campus Green Committees.
Aug 2002 - URA Subject Group: Southern Ridges (presentation
by N. Sivasothi & R. Subaraj).
Aug 2002 - NUS Office off Estate & Development recce
of routes and plaque .
recce for ACAM walk (w/ALHB & DYCJ), 27
of Pasir Panjang Anniversary Walk, 13th February 2005.
Photos by Airani
(Album 1), Wendy
& Kiah Shen (Album 2 & 3).
month, Sep 2005: 60th anniversary of the end WWII in the
Pacific, 3rd & 4th September 2005. Album and Toddycats report.
Anniversary Commemorative Service (by Changi Museum) at
Kranji War Memorial. Photos by Wendy
and Kiah Shen.
- Battle of Pasir Panjang Commemorative Walk, 14 Feb 2009 - Album 1
- Battle of Pasir Panjang Commemorative Walk, 13 Feb 2011 - Album 1 - Album 2
Public Gallery of the Raffles Museum
View of the Ridge vegetation
Prewar observation post, damaged by construction works in 2002
Towering canopy of Albizia
The pond at Kent Ridge Park
Ants feed off the nectar of a flower
View of Alexandra from KR Park
A canopy-covered road in KRPark
View of southern islands including P. Bukum
Plaque at Kent Ridge, 1952
Part of the Raffles Museum's zoological collections in Romney huts along Ayer Rajah Road, 1970's.