a few exceptions, all spiders are venomous in the sense that
they are equipped with a pair of venom glands. Most spiders
depend on the venom to overpower their prey, and when necessary,
to defend themselves against their enemies.
However, no one in Singapore is known to have died from spider
local spiders are harmless because they are not aggressive and will
not bite indiscriminately, or their fangs are simply too small to
nip through our comparatively thick skin. Some Singaporeans believe
that the "urine" of the Domestic Huntsman Spider (Heteropoda
venatoria (left), often seen scuttling swiftly inside houses
at night) can cause blindness. This is an old wives' tale.
Nevertheless, you should treat all larger spiders (with a body length
of 15mm or above) with caution. You should avoid flicking them away
from your body or catching them with your bare hands. When provoked,
some can retaliate by inflicting a painful bite. If you are allergic
to bee stings, you may react more strongly to the bite of a spider
than an ordinary person. Some spider venom can cause an ulcer-like
sore at the bite site which takes a long time to heal. In more serious
cases, some victims may also experience headaches or dizziness.