Habitatnews 2000-26: Monday, 24th July 2000
Operasi Soedarsono Batam 2000
Applications are open for the expedition this Nov/Dec 2000,
and the closing date is on 14th August 2000
Operasi Raleigh Batam (ORB) is back! This time as Operasi Soedarsono Batam 2000 (OSB 2000), and is a joint project with the Indonesian Red Cross in Batam. Named in memory of Mr. Soedarsono, the Indonesian philanthropist responsible for the huge success of Operasi Raleigh Batam in 1996 and 1998.
OSB2000 will be lead to Indonesia at the end of the year, and the focus this time will be on building and furnishing a school and clinic on Pulau Teluk Nipah, a small island some 60 km south of Batam recently devastated by a typhoon. (*Please see the attached expedition brief for the objectives*).
Brief details are as follows:
1. 30 volunteers required (17 to 28
years age range)
2. Dates: 18 Nov to 5 Dec 2000
3. Living conditions: spartan (tents and bathing in well water)
4. Cost: Each volunteer needs to raise about $250 to cover partially the cost of food and transport, etc.
5. Closing Date: 14th Aug 2000
6. Submit completed application forms to Jeremy Lim
7. He will get in touch with you.
8. If further details are required, email Jeremy
See the Expedition Brief and download the Application Form.
What was the previous
A volunteer's account of Operasi Raleigh Batam at Pulau Bertam
Joyce Lim's article "Island Relief" appeared in The New Paper, 12th November 1998.
Volunteers returned to the island
for a peek at the completed job -
a report from their mailing list, 5th October 1998